Home Motivation “Staying On The Sidelines” Mentality (or what percentage of success in business...

“Staying On The Sidelines” Mentality (or what percentage of success in business has to do with simply showing up)

Ah, the social experiments we all so much enjoy.

I was recently a participant at a business networking luncheon with some 120 sales people in attendance. All are sales people (not necessarily business owners) looking to network,  prospect for new business, exchange business cards and contact information. In fact, all paid a fee to get in and to, specifically, develop new business relationships. To gain some traction with the new crowd my company offered a prize in exchange for coming to our table, exchanging contact info and filling out an email form (or, essentially, doing what most of the sales people came there to do). The prize was a brand new iPad mini (the 8 magic letters that, typically, create a stir during various giveaways I have done in the past).

Of course, I didn’t have to do the prize. The assumption was, of course, that everyone at the luncheon was there to network and build new relationships with potential clients anyways.

Now, a question. How many sales representatives do you think came up to my table to share their business card and/or signed up for the iPad giveaway?

The answer is 18. Yes, as it turns out just 15% of all sales people who came to network were actually there to network (and win an iPad along the way). How crazy is that? Let’s look at it visually.

ipad7

 

Now, when the time came to announce the winner, the “winner” was nowhere to be found as she couldn’t stick around for a chance that she just might be the winner. So take that 18 and turn it into just 17. Now, we are down to just 14.16% of people who were willing to show up during the announcement and hear the name of the winner.

Then, of course, as expected a “replacement” winner was pulled out of the proverbial hat and the thunder of applause had exploded to congratulate him with his new iPad mini. No strings attached.

ipad5

Now, Let’s Talk About The Business Side of Things

Needless to say, the 85% of non-participants did not get a chance to win the iPad or to get my company as their client. So what happened within the 15% group?

ipad8

 

A Note on Success and Showing Up

Woody Allen once, famously, said that 80% of success is showing up and you would typically find his quote under “funny” or “humor” category on most known quote websites. However, humor aside, success, in fact, is about showing up, willing to take chances and participate (or create) business opportunities when everyone one else sits it out on sidelines. My social experiment was small but rather indicative. Take chances, go after opportunities and if it seems like there none left, create one for others as more and more doors will unexpectedly open. Don’t be discouraged if not everything goes as planned, don’t stay on the sidelines; simply do, simply act and when the opportunity presents itself, simply show up for a chance at success.

Authentically yours,

Max Azarov,
Authentic Startup, Author

Max Azarov is an software inventor, entrepreneur, author and a founder of several startups, including a Drugstore Max pharmacy (sold in 2014), a software company, as well as his current project for new startups, (YoloStartup.com). S.P.I.N. is a model designed for new startups where old rules no longer apply. Azarov is a one of a kind business guy who combines the experience of working for several Fortune 500 companies with starting his own businesses from scratch. The Authentic S.P.I.N. model is developed around the concept that each one of us has a potential to develop an amazing product based solely on our experiences and use the S.P.I.N. model to turn it into a money making startup. Azarov today is a proponent of the S.P.I.N. model when consulting other brand new startups and businesses he works with. Azarov holds a degree from DePauw University and is a founding member of No Limits Diabetes, an international non-profit organization designed to fight Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in teens and young adults.